Screening Your Children for Scoliosis
Scoliosis is an abnormal sideways curve in the spine that, if not caught early, can become worse with age, cause significant back pain, and lead to arthritis in the spine. We want your children to grow healthy and strong, which is why it’s important to know the signs of scoliosis and check your kids around age eight.
Checking Your Kids
Checking your child’s spine for scoliosis is possible at home and in our practice. If you’re opting for the at-home method, do the following:
1. Have your child bend over at the waist. Stand behind them and check the curve of the spine. This is called Adam’s test for scoliosis. The back should have a smooth curve. Also take a look at the ribcage on both sides as they bend forward. If you notice the ribcage bulging more on one side than the other, it may be a cause for concern.
2. Next, look at your child’s back while they are standing and check for any of the following:
- Is one shoulder higher than the other? They should be level.
- Is one hip higher than the other? They should be level.
- Does the spine look straight or curved? Curving sideways is a problem.
If you think you may be seeing signs of scoliosis in your child, we’d love to help. It’s important to remember that discovering scoliosis early can often lead to improved management and excellent outcomes.
Contact our practice today to book an appointment.
Getting Started is Easy
Experience our state-of-the-art facilities by contacting us today to schedule your appointment! Our team is here to answer any questions you may have about chiropractic therapy.
1) Fill Out The Form Below
2) We'll Give You A Call & Book An Appointment
3) We get you started. Welcome to 1-Spine!
1-Spine Chiropractic - Lubbock
4903 82nd Street Suite 50
Lubbock, TX 79424
Phone: (806) 993-1001
1-Spine Chiropractic - Levelland
1003 College Ave.
Levelland, TX 79336
Phone: (806) 894-7000