Why You Should Sit Up Straight
Remember when your mother used to say things like, “Eat all your vegetables.” And, “Look both ways before you cross the street.” Let’s not forget her mantra, “Sit up straight!” So many people today work in sedentary jobs that require them to sit for most of the workday. However, whether sitting at a desk, a football game, or in front of a television set, good posture is imperative to your spinal health. And poor postural habits are a leading contributor to back pain.
Checking Your Posture
Let’s take a look at how you’re sitting right at this moment.
- Are your feet flat on the floor, with your knees at a 90-degree angle?
- Are your buttocks, back and shoulders up against the backrest of your chair?
- Does the chair you’re sitting in provide enough lumbar support? Does the backrest fit into the natural curve of your spine?
- Are your shoulders relaxed and even, not hunched in a forward position?
- Is your body weight equally distributed across both hips?
- Are your knees level with or slightly higher than your hips?
If you answered “No” to any of these questions, you are probably exerting undue stress on your spine; this will eventually cause back pain.
Change How You Sit
Keep in mind that it is not a good idea to sit in the same position for more than 40 minutes. Chronic slouching affects the discs between the vertebrae and may cause them to bulge or become herniated. Take the time to stand up and stretch your back and legs or take a short walk periodically.
If you’re already finding that back pain is creeping into your life, give us a call.
Getting Started is Easy
Experience our state-of-the-art facilities by contacting us today to schedule your appointment! Our team is here to answer any questions you may have about chiropractic therapy.
1) Fill Out The Form Below
2) We'll Give You A Call & Book An Appointment
3) We get you started. Welcome to 1-Spine!
1-Spine Chiropractic - Lubbock
4903 82nd Street Suite 50
Lubbock, TX 79424
Phone: (806) 993-1001
1-Spine Chiropractic - Levelland
1003 College Ave.
Levelland, TX 79336
Phone: (806) 894-7000